The Paulson Institute has an immediate opening for a Research Associate or Senior Research Associate on energy in our think tank, MacroPolo. Our team of experts provides incisive analysis, insightful research products, and creative multimedia and digital content. At MacroPolo, we believe in:
- creating distinctive products that have a high insight-to-noise ratio;
- delivering consistently high-quality and forward-looking analysis and best-in-class research;
- harnessing technology and data to build beautiful and accessible content;
- taking a design-centric approach to simplify complexity in everything we do.
Come join us to create original and impactful work on the defining trends and questions that will shape the global economy and politics in the decades to come.
This position focuses on one of the most consequential trends of our time: the global energy transition and its intersection with the economy, technology, and industrial policy. In this role, you will deploy both qualitative and quantitative methods and tools to generate research and analysis. You will be able to build on existing work and expand into new realms working collaboratively with our analytical and creative teams to bring your research to life.
You should have an interest in comparative development in energy markets, particularly in East Asia, including a good understanding of China’s energy landscape because it is one of the most consequential energy markets. Within the broad contours of the energy transition, you will also develop sectoral focus and an understanding of prevailing and future technologies. You will be expected to independently determine and execute your own research agenda and publish regularly under your own byline.
- Research and analyze key energy industry and sectoral issues in East Asia, with a focus on China;
- Conduct both quantitative and qualitative analysis to generate original research;
- Produce compelling commentary and analyses for publication;
- Work across the MacroPolo team to execute on analytical and creative products;
- Define new areas of specialization and develop comparative work that align with core competence;
- Engage in occasional external writing and speaking engagements;
- Represent the Paulson Institute in a professional manner, including participation in external events and media appearances.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field or comparable relevant experience;
- Authorization to work in the US;
- Experience with data analysis and quantitative research tools;
- Excellent analytical and research skills – the ability to conduct research in Chinese and other languages not necessary but preferred;
- Strong ability to write effectively and communicate clearly in English;
- Prior record of publications is preferred;
- Minimum of 1-2 years of experience in relevant research is preferred.
The Paulson Institute offers a competitive compensation and benefits package commensurate with experience. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this position, please send your resume, cover letter, and a writing sample to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.