Based in Beijing, the Associate Director will be responsible for developing research plans and driving projects forward to ensure that the research work of the Green Finance Center has real impact. Working closely with other members of the Paulson Institute’s team in China and the United States, as well as the Institute’s Chinese and foreign partner institutions, this Director will play a key role in managing policy and technical research from conceptualization to publication and dissemination of research reports. Excellent strategic, analytical, and writing skills, as well as effective communication and teamwork skills are critical to success in this role.
- Work with the Managing Director in planning, developing and executing the Green Finance Center’s research project strategy; arranging the research project budget, project implementation and other related work as required.
- Conduct research with a systematic, interdisciplinary research approach and analytical skills. Continuously focus on policy and technology development in the fields of climate, energy, environment, green finance, carbon peaking/neutrality, and sustainable development; report and make recommendations to the Green Finance Center;
- Compose high-quality research reports; write regular podcast scripts; propose interview topics and arrange interviews; and make constructive policy recommendations to relevant government agencies.
- Assist in communication and cooperation between the Green Finance Center and relevant government agencies, research institutions and other domestic and international partners to track and identify urgent and important research areas and industry trends in real time.
- Assist in planning and organizing high-level seminars and meetings with government officials, academic and business leaders, and NGO representatives.
- Promote the activities, research results and policy recommendations of the Paulson Institute to the highest quality standards.
- Provide assistance to all members of the Paulson Institute, as requested.
- Master’s degree, PhD preferred
- Minimum of five years of relevant work experience, at least two of which include climate, energy, environment, economics, green technology/green finance, or public policy work
- Very familiar with research methodologies
- Excellent writing skills in English and Chinese
- Professional presentation skills, especially in the use of software such as PowerPoint and Excel
- Native Chinese speaker, fluent in English
- Chinese nationality or holding a Chinese permanent residence card
Competency and Skills Requirements
- Research skills: a strong intellectual curiosity in the academic field and a systematic approach to research
- Policy savvy: understand the climate, energy, green technology, green finance and sustainability policies of China and the U.S., possess strong interest in major policy trends and the current status of the sustainability field and the related industry landscape in China and the U.S.
- Interdisciplinary: Ability to identify and define important issues related to climate, energy, green technology, green finance, and sustainable development and make sound research proposals
- Learning and problem solving: quickly grasp the necessary knowledge of unfamiliar areas, courage to take on work, strong adaptability, able to handle tight schedules and heavy tasks
- Sophisticated communication skills
- Team player, pragmatic
To apply, please submit your CV, cover letter, and writing sample to Kathy Wang at email@example.com.